Hyperfine QQLs

We all know QQLs are fine. But did you know that some are hyperfine?

What I mean by “hyperfine” is: some QQLs have unexpected detail and emergence which can only be discovered at unreasonably high resolutions.

My first and favorite example for a hyperfine QQL is #281, which is one of the 7 community mints from QQL’s first anniversary. Here it is, at full scale:

Looking at it here, you can see that there’s some very fine detail. However, it’s not immediately obvious that the detail is finer than other small, dense, and wild mints, like the lovely #210 by pstl.eth:

The hyperfine-ness shows up once we bump the resolution considerably. Here’s

And here’s #281 at the same scale:

At this scale, it feels pretty clear that there’s something special going on with #281 - an emergent detail that is only discoverable at high resolution.

The difference becomes even clearer once we bump up to 24,000 pixel width. (For reference, that’s 10x larger, in each dimension, than what’s shown on the site by default.)

Here’s #210 again:

At this zoom level, it feels like a pretty “normal” QQL. Although, it is really cool that we can render a QQL with 100x more detail, and get back another “normal” feeling view into QQL! We love fractal self-similarity.

On the other hand, taking this magnification to QQL #281, we can see a richly colored and textured pattern that feels unique to this particular seed:

One of my favorite things about QQL, and more broadly about generative art in general, is the potential for unexpected emergence that is a surprise to absolutely everyone. And, I think the hyperfine QQLs are one such category! It’s particularly neat that we only discovered them a year in. I wonder what other hyperfine QQLs are out there? Are some already minted? Are even more extravagently detailed seeds just waiting to be found?

If you’d like to hunt for hyperfine QQLs yourself, I can’t recommend qqlrs by @wchargin highly enough. It is QQL re-written in Rust, and it is exceptionally performant. It makes it feasible to render at high resolution, and quickly. For reference, here’s the command I used to get 24k renders:

qqlrs --min-circle-steps 64 --width 24000 --chunks 4x4 SEED

6 Likes

Great write up! I love the term hyperfine. I love seeing 281 zoomed in. I rember Jazure posting some wonderful tiny ring seeds back in the early days. #148 is a beautiful linear that is worth zomming in on, but I think my favorite of theirs is still unminted.

Zoomed in 24K wide.

And this is just one little section. This one is worth zooming and exploring more!

5 Likes

For the last month of Year 1, I dedicated my time to finding one hyperfine QQL seed in each of the QQL palettes (Exploring QQL).

I’d like to highlight just 3 that I really loved!

A gorgeous blossoming “Fidenza Brown” background with a flame-like shape at 106k rings.

We can see how at this density rings are just barely starting to touch and that the actual texture-like properties that appear with hyper-fineness is not discernible anymore.

With this “Miami Rich Blue”, what happens is interesting.While it has almost 500k rings, the rings are actually so much smaller than end up adding texture and letting the background color pop.

(same scale as the above)

Last, a “fuzzy” seed!! With 850k rings at the same? size as above, when we increase density we now see a much different furry/fuzzy look at normal scale but a fairly similar but denser cadence at close-up.

Edit: I was doing 10K went to 24k as Indigo and Anders for fair comparison.

4 Likes

There is another (magical) style of hyperfine QQLs which is possible to fully explore once again thanks to @wchargin, and that would be “inflated” QQLs.

I’d love to know more about how this was conceptually conceived but here’s what we know. At some point, the community discovered that some QQL seeds were empty but appeared to have 100Ks or even milions of rings.

When Wchargin created her fantastic Rust tool she discovered that those rings existed but by being too small had been given a negative radius so that they wouldn’t render. With “inflated” we can see these otherwise empty seeds in their full “out-of-bounds” splendor.

I created a collection of my standouts (Exploring QQL) but would like to share a couple just to give you a tease!

If you imported this seed to the QQL website it would look green with no rings. At 6.9M rings this is one of the densest QQL seeds ever found. It’s so dense that although “empty” it’s not possible to render on a “normal” computer. The close-up is out of this world!

I wonder what it would like printed and I also wonder if anyone will ever be crazy enough to mint an empty seed that has something like this hidden within.

Sometimes we find “inflated” seeds which have some visible rings in them and the combination becomes quite curious.

This is what the seed looks like as is.

3 Likes

I love the term too! And this render is amazing. I don’t know how it hasn’t been minted.

1 Like

I should start zooming in on seeds more often!!!

This has some similar characteristics that can be seen in the “normal” view, like one that @heeey shared.

It’s interesting to see the details go from very orderly… to stacked/chaotic… to orderly curved flows layered with diagonal flows of randomness.

I can just imagine getting lost in all the detail if this was on some MASSIVE display.

1 Like